17 Nov 2016
A recent study of companies that had been hit by ransomware attacks in the last year revealed some very interesting and frightening numbers.
Ransomware gets through
- 95% of ransomware attacks bypassed firewalls.
- 77% bypassed email filtering.
- 52% bypassed anti-malware software.
You’re not doing enough
- 81% of IT security workers surveyed were confident in backup solutions helping them recover from a ransomware attack prior to actually being attacked.
- Less than 50% were able to fully recover with their backup solutions.
Follow the money
What steps did companies hit by ransomware attacks take in the aftermath? Here is what they invested in.
- 90% security awareness (65% internal, 25% brought in professional help)
- 50% updated security policies
- 26% email filtering
- 20% anti-virus
Another survey of IT experts in the financial sector revealed that:
- 55% said ransomware has surpassed spear phishing as the top cyberattack.
- 32% reported a loss of $100,000 to $500,000 from ransomware attacks.
What should you do?
If those numbers are unsettling to you, they should be.